String interpolation - Finally HERE!

If your familiar with python, you might now what f strings are, they look a bit like this:

local Test = "Hi!"

print(f"{Test} How are you today?")

This would output: Hi! How are you today?. Useful right?

Here is a quick quote from the official topic:

Without further ado, we’re happy to release a beta feature for string interpolation! Please note, since this is a beta feature, it will only work in Studio.

String interpolation is the new syntax that allows you to create a string literal with expressions inside of that string literal. You can read about it in the RFC for string interpolation .

In short, it’s a safer and more ergonomic alternative over string.format. Here’s a quick example of a string interpolation:

local combos = {2, 7, 1, 8, 5}
print(`The lock combination is {table.concat(combos)}. Again, {table.concat(combos, ", ")}.`)
--> The lock combination is 27185. Again, 2, 7, 1, 8, 5.

It looks great, does it?

local balance = setmetatable({ value = 500 }, {
    __tostring = function(self)
        return "$" .. tostring(self.value)
    end
})

print(`You have {balance}!`)
--> You have $500!

I can’t wait to experiment with this tomorrow and I would highly recommend you check it out for yourself too!

I presume this can be enabled through roblox studio beta but hereare the current limitations:

1. Script editor will not support auto-formatting string interpolations.

2. Luau currently does not define any format specifiers for string interpolations.

3. Luau currently does not support any_function_callwith backticks without parentheses``.

4. Luau currently does not support backtick string literals as a type annotation, so type Foo = `Foo` is invalid.

Can’t wait to see what is made with this! Enjoy! :partying_face:

1 Like

This is extremely useful, it can get messy to write print(“You now have”..balance..”!”), especially when you need to use multiple variables in one string.

2 Likes

Agreed, or if you have long messages.

Woah, wasn’t sure what was it about but with the example, it seems rlly useful actually-