What computer should I purchase?

Hey everyone!

For a while now, I’ve been in search of new computers capable of advanced gaming as well as developing on softwares such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe XD, Blender, Roblox Studio and many more.

As some of you might know, I make creations on a 10-year-old Lenovo Thinkpad W530. What’s more, I fear it’s approaching it’s end of it’s lifetime, and it’s getting really difficult for me to improve my skills and even use websites (currently on my Chromebook).

What am I’m looking for specifically?

I’m looking specifically for a laptop that is capable of semi-advanced gaming as well as development for creators — like me and you.

I don’t have certain specifications in mind, however I do want to ensure the computer contains an Intel Core i6 (or higher, but not lower) as well as an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 or higher, if possible to fit within by buget.

Let’s get to it; what do I want you to do?

I’ve searched several sites, where shipping is available to Canada, I have a few options but I know you guys will stumble upon computers which I have not looked at.

My buget, for anyone wondering, is approximately $2000 CAD. Let me know if you find anything interested! (make sure it’s available in Canada) :heart:

I’d suggest building your own PC then, you’re able to customise it to your liking!

While you can find laptops with specs like these it would be a bit more costly. It doesn’t really make any sense to get a laptop in this case. I highly recommend a PC instead

Well, I decided to get a laptop instead of a pc because say I’m going to my friends house and they wanted me to bring my pc. Well I can’t do that but since I have a laptop I could.

Macbook. Macbook. Macbook. MACBOOK!!Z

1 Like

I got gaming pc, 500 dollars, 16 gigs of ram, intel core i5 10400 and a GeForce gtx 1650 super. Really recommending building it. You save a ton. I found one on Amazon that has worse specs than mine, for like twice the price

i suggest an rtx 2080 or 2070 super

try to get an ibuypower, you build them yourselves, and they are just the best at gaming

As 25swrld has said, it’s better to get a tower (desktop, pc, whatever you want to call it), this is as it has better cooling & you can change out the parts & stuff, however, if you really want to go for a laptop you have quite a lot of selection. Of course, laptops with a lot of juice will be heavy and might not be slim, but if I were you, that wouldn’t really matter.

Also keep in mind some manufactures may limit the quality of your product slightly, but with good companies this shouldn’t be a problem.

If you want something with some push & that is aesthetically pleasing, with a metal chassis & quite thin:

Buy Razer Blade 15 Base Model - Full HD 144Hz - GeForce RTX 3060 - Black | Gaming Laptops | Razer.com

It’s slightly over budget but is very very good, it has a fantastic screen a good graphics card and a reasonable disk space and a good processor, it will be good for gaming, development and will be easy to task around

Tech Specs - Razer Blade 15
PROCESSOR 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-11800H 8 Core (2.3GHz / 4.6GHz)
OS Windows 10 Home - Free Upgrade to Windows 11*
DISPLAY 15.6" Full HD 144Hz, 100% sRGB, 4.9 mm bezel, factory calibrated
GRAPHICS * Discrete: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 (6GB DDR6 VRAM)
  • Integrated: Intel® UHD Graphics|

GRAPHIC FEATURES * Maximum Graphics Power up to 95W

• Boost Clock up to 1530MHz
  • NVIDIA CUDA® Cores - 3840
  • NVIDIA GPU Boost™ 2.0
  • NVIDIA Optimus™ Technology
  • NVIDIA Whisper Mode
  • NVIDIA Resizable BAR
  • 2nd Gen Ray Tracing Cores
  • 3rd Gen Tensor Cores
  • VR Ready
    STORAGE * 512GB SSD (M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4) + Open M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 Slot
    MEMORY * 16GB dual-channel DDR4-3200MHz (8GB x 2)
    KEYBOARD Single-zone RGB Powered by Razer Chroma™ anti-ghosting keyboard
    CONNECTIVITY * Intel® Wireless-AX201 (IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax)
  • Bluetooth® 5.2 connectivity
    TOUCHPAD Precision glass touchpad
    INPUT & OUTPUT * 1 x Thunderbolt™ 4 (USB-C)
  • 3 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 (USB-A)
  • 1 x USB-C 3.2 Gen 2
  • 1 x Gigabit Ethernet
  • 1 x HDMI 2.1 output (Up to 8K 60Hz or 4K 120Hz)
    AUDIO * Built-in stereo speakers
  • 3.5mm headphone/microphone combo port
  • Built-in array microphone
  • THX® Spatial Audio
  • 7.1 Codec support (via HDMI)
    FINISH CNC Unibody Aluminum Chassis, Anodized Black finish, backlit green Razer logo
    DIMENSIONS * 0.78" x 9.25" x 13.98"
  • 19.9 mm x 235 mm x 355 mm
    WEIGHT 2.09 kg / 4.6 lbs
    BATTERY AND ADAPTOR * Up to 6 hours
  • Built-in 65WHr rechargeable lithium-ion polymer battery
  • 230W power adapter
    ADDITIONAL FEATURES * Razer™ Synapse 3 enabled with programmable keyboard, backlighting, and fan control
  • Kensington™ Security Slot
  • Intel® Platform Trust Technology (Intel® PTT) security enabled
  • Built-in webcam (1MP/720P)

It comes in at around 2014.6 CAD, it’s worth it’s value & it isn’t something stupidly expensive because of the brand.

Now we have Alienware, it’s not as pleasing & it’s a bit bulky but it’s high quality.

Alienware x15 Gaming Laptop | Dell USA

It’s something that has a good design, has a good screen and specs.

Tech Sepcs - Alienware x15
  • Processor

11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-11800H (24 MB cache, 8 cores, 16 threads, up to 4.60 GHz Turbo)

• Operating System

Windows 11 Home, English

• Graphics Card *

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060, 6 GB GDDR6

• Display

15.6", FHD 1920x1080, 165Hz, Non-Touch, 3ms, ComfortView Plus

• Memory *

16 GB, DDR4, 3200 MHz, integrated

• Hard Drive

512 GB, M.2, PCIe NVMe, SSD

It comes in at around 1,955.19 CAD, so it’s not too bad at all, also just so you know I’m doing the conversions, I don’t know if there will be any funny business tricks hoisting up the price.

1 Like

If you want to build your own pc & you never had before you can try the BLD Kit by NZXT.

1 Like

no. the gaming is worse than my hairline.

1 Like

The issue is MacBooks are way too overpriced, for example their 16-inch MacBook Pro is selling for $3000 CAD, which is just insane.

1 Like

Not a bad idea actually … a PC would probably do better. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for these suggestions, they’re really helpful! :heart:

1 Like

A macbook is mine but oh my god its better off in the freaking trash!!!

I too have a MacBook. I don’t use it, however.

MacBooks are terrible for gaming, their mainly for professional use, like real graphic design.

On top of that, many applications don’t support the new chips, such as the M1 and M2 series.

1 Like

It will certainly take a while for apps to integrate to the new M1.

Yeah, I feel like Apple sped up too quickly, a lot of apps still don’t support MacBooks with M1 and M2.

1 Like

As much as I love my Mac, I am going to have to disagree and say that gaming isn’t the best on it for more advanced things. I do love its ability to run very smoothly with Roblox Studio, Blender, and Photoshop.

1 Like