Private Relay - Super Secure Internet Browsing

What’s new, we all know Apple as one of the most innovative companies in the world :earth_americas:

Many people pick Apple for one reason: Security, we all know for Apple releasing the well known HideMyEmail feature, which comes with many security benefits, protecting your emails from spam and making you harder to track.

But now, Apple has came out with something that makes sure your extra safe on the internet, now introducing Private Relay.

Listen to Apple’s official description of how private relay works:

How does private relay work?

Normally, when you browse the web, information contained in your web traffic, such as your DNS records and IP address, can be seen by your network provider and the websites you visit. This information could be used to determine your identity and build a profile of your location and browsing history over time. iCloud Private Relay is designed to protect your privacy by ensuring that when you browse the web in Safari, no single party – not even Apple – can see both who you are and what sites you’re visiting.

When Private Relay is enabled, your requests are sent through two separate, secure internet relays. Your IP address is visible to your network provider and to the first relay, which is operated by Apple. Your DNS records are encrypted, so neither party can see the address of the website you’re trying to visit. The second relay, which is operated by a third-party content provider, will generate a temporary IP address, decrypt the name of the website you’ve requested and connect you to the site. All of this is done using the latest internet standards to maintain a high-performance browsing experience while protecting your privacy.

iCloud Private Relay is not available in all countries or regions. Without access to your IP address, some websites may require extra steps to sign in or access content. Source

Isn’t that crazy!? You can basically be completely anonymous online & nobody can track you, somebody compared it to an onion router.

But this proposes an issue…

If not even Apple can see the data that is being sent, hackers will be able to utilise this, it’s a super strong & easy way to stay perfectly hidden, it’s not if hackers will use it, it’s when hackers are using it, this is a powerful tool and must stay in the correct hands.

But let’s see how good people like you can get access to it.

How can I get apple private relay?

Well, first you must be on one of the Apple icloud plans. Personally I’m on the 2TB plan, but things may also change, also these payment plans could be subject to change, always check the apple site for more info:

iCloud+ Plan Storage Features
50 GB 50 GB iCloud Private Relay, Hide My Email, Custom Email Domain, HomeKit Secure Video (1 camera), Family Sharing (5 members)
200 GB 200 GB iCloud Private Relay, Hide My Email, Custom Email Domain, HomeKit Secure Video (5 cameras), Family Sharing (5 members)
2 TB 2 TB iCloud Private Relay, Hide My Email, Custom Email Domain, HomeKit Secure Video (unlimited cameras), Family Sharing (5 members)

How to enable Apple private relay?

Turn on Private Relay on your iPhone or iPad

1. Open the Settings app, then tap your name.
  2. Tap iCloud, then select Private Relay.
  3. To turn Private Relay on or off, tap Private Relay.
  4. To choose a setting for your IP address, tap IP Address Location.
  • To let sites show you localised content in Safari while your IP address stays hidden, tap Maintain general location.
  • To use a broader location for your IP address, still within your country and time zone, tap Use country and time zone.

You can turn off Private Relay temporarily by tapping Turn Off Until Tomorrow. If you choose this option, Private Relay will turn back on automatically within 24 hours.

Turn on Private Relay on your Mac

In macOS Ventura or later:

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings.
  2. Click your name, then select iCloud.
  3. Click Private Relay.
  4. To turn Private Relay on or off, click the Turn On or Turn Off button.
    Turn off Private Relay on your Mac
  5. Choose a setting for your IP address:
  • To let sites show you localised content in Safari while your IP address stays hidden, click Maintain general location.
  • To use a broader location for your IP address, still within your country and time zone, click Use country and time zone.

You can temporarily turn off Private Relay by clicking Turn Off Until Tomorrow. If you choose this option, Private Relay will turn back on automatically within 24 hours.

If you have problems, don’t fear to use the support article written on this subject. I hope this feature keeps you safe online. What are your opinions on this? Should apple try and make monitoring stronger or would that defat the purpose, let’s see?

I know many people are on Apple icloud, so I hope this topic helped. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This has been around for a long time, I’ve used it almost since I got my phone.

1 Like

Yes, but I’m aware that barely anybody knows this actually exists, it’s also off by default. :+1:

1 Like

So this has been the case for a while, but as much as I like Apple Private Relay, I don’t believe I have much use for it at the moment as it costs money to use and other platforms such as Firefox Relay exist.

The only thing I’d need 2TB for would be photos and memories, so I haven’t ruled out this option as I might want to use it sometime in the future for better privacy and security. Apple Relay also has much more capability and customization compared to Firefox Relay.