Roblox display names - Opinions?

Hello Cookie Tech!

Today, I realised that I’ve been forgetting something. Since their release on June 8, 2021, Display Names have been widely used across roblox. I have one, you have one, your pets have one, most people have one.

The issue:

1. Impersonation
    People are easily able to impersonate users, however, noticeable users have details to ensure you can’t impersonate them.

The upside:

1. You can easily express yourself
    Users are able to express themselves using taken display names.

So, what are your thoughts? I’d love to hear them!

Another Issue: People making their display name “Server”

What they do is “This server is shutting down” and “Your friend Roblox has joined the game.”

They even do “Your mom has joined the game.”

Yes, this could be used but at least it still shows their actual username below.

I actually think display names aren’t that bad of an idea! People can make their display names something like a new username that they wanted if they didn’t have enough robux to pay for a new username, people can make it anything they want to maybe bypass the system and make it inappropriate though.

mine is anxvew, its unique and nobody else has it

But somebody easily could use it.

Honestly, display names aren’t really that bad.

One thing I should certainly mention is that you don’t have to pay 1,000 Robux to change your username when you can simply change your display name for free, if you just feel like changing your username.

But, there are risks of impersonation … I’ve seen this a lot, especially with YouTubers.

1 Like

There’s pro and cons, I like that I can put my name as Chris instead of my full user. As a developer I love how I can also disable display names for chat and this also helps so people can’t impersonation mods, devs, and Roblox officials. So this is a fix to that issue as some games do do this.

3 Likes